Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Challenges...

My guild has a challenge every year. In the past it has been things like black and white quilts or nine patch quilts. That type of challenge. You make a quilt matching the challenge and show it at the last guild meeting and the membership votes on which it likes best. This year's challenge is totally different. It sounded like a really good idea. Identify eight UFOs in October and finish them by June to be entered in a drawing for a set of fat quarters. For each that you get done, your name gets entered into a drawing. I had no problem coming up with eight UFOs. In fact I was so smart I entered thirteen so I could decide later which eight I wanted to work on. My oldest UFO is from 1997. It's an applique and pieced quilt originally published as a series in McCall's Quilting magazine. I didn't have all the issues so I had to order some back issues. I later bought the specially published booklet of the entire quilt just so I could have a condensed copy all in one place. I had gotten quite a ways on the blocks, completing almost all the applique blocks. The last applique block only had a little more to do. And I had two pieced blocks yet to do. I finished the two pieced blocks and here are all my blocks minus the one applique block I am still working to finish.



Don't you love the 1990s dark colors. Notice the top right block with all the little squares surrounding the pieced block. All the blocks get this treatment. Now I remember why this is a UFO.


I have tons of 2 inch blocks to sew together and add onto the blocks. Here's a picture of the completed quilt.


This may go back into the UFO pile yet....




1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! Look at all those squares! That's a lot of piecing!

    ReplyDelete